Lumenition ignition
Moderators:Aceman, ecosselynx
Which Lumenition ignition for my mark 2, 3.8 please 
Assuming you're buying NEW, just tell the Luminition people what car it's to be fitted to. Also state if it's been Pos-Neg converted. They'll supply the right one, and more importantly, the correct detailed fitting instructions.
Buy direct from Luminition, not via Halfords, unless you also let them fit it.
Johnny M
Buy direct from Luminition, not via Halfords, unless you also let them fit it.
Johnny M
-
velosolex50
- Posts:5
- Joined:Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:31 pm
- Location:isle of man
luminition
2.5 V8 Daimler 1964
After fitting luminition I had the same problemof uneven running when hot - I checked everything else and eventually I felt the control module mounted on the inner wing in the engine compartment was getting too hot and affecting the running.
I sent it back to Luminition who tested its temperature sensitiveness and returned it saying it was OK
I refitted it and... same thing - poor running when hot
I then repositioned the control unit into the glove box (wired thro' the bulkhead) and .....problem solved
After fitting luminition I had the same problemof uneven running when hot - I checked everything else and eventually I felt the control module mounted on the inner wing in the engine compartment was getting too hot and affecting the running.
I sent it back to Luminition who tested its temperature sensitiveness and returned it saying it was OK
I refitted it and... same thing - poor running when hot
I then repositioned the control unit into the glove box (wired thro' the bulkhead) and .....problem solved
-
ecosselynx
- Posts:265
- Joined:Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:08 am
- Location:Magnou, France
Hi
I have nothing to do with the company. I fitted a Luninition to my 3.4 in 98, box installed on the inner wing. I have now done 30,000 mile without a problem, this include middle of Madrid in 38 degrees, driving it in snow, all day in the rain on more than once. One of the best things I have spent money on.
John H.
I have nothing to do with the company. I fitted a Luninition to my 3.4 in 98, box installed on the inner wing. I have now done 30,000 mile without a problem, this include middle of Madrid in 38 degrees, driving it in snow, all day in the rain on more than once. One of the best things I have spent money on.
John H.
To be fair I did use the luminition system on the triumph for 5years with no problems and then suffered a few duff rotor arms and it may have been the high resistances that these developed that killed it.I had a few duff ignition amplifiers on the series 3 set up but touch wood all is ok at the moment.Electronics are great when they work, a bit like computers.........
Luminition was fitted to my 3.8 by the previous owner. It seems to work well, but he did advise me to always carry a couple of spare rotor arms, as it liked to burn them out at inconvenient times.
He assumed that it was an anomaly with the Luminition system, but I have seen many mentions lately of a duff (unriveted) rotor arms that have entered the spares pipeline due to cost cutting. So perhaps it was simply these duff rotor arms that were plagueing him.
She's not let me down at all yet, but I've done little mileage in her, and she's been laid up for months. Hopefully I'll soon be able to start tarting her up again, but I've got a 6 year backlog of jobs around the house and garden to catch up on before 'er indoors lets me loose again.
Johnny
He assumed that it was an anomaly with the Luminition system, but I have seen many mentions lately of a duff (unriveted) rotor arms that have entered the spares pipeline due to cost cutting. So perhaps it was simply these duff rotor arms that were plagueing him.
She's not let me down at all yet, but I've done little mileage in her, and she's been laid up for months. Hopefully I'll soon be able to start tarting her up again, but I've got a 6 year backlog of jobs around the house and garden to catch up on before 'er indoors lets me loose again.
Johnny
Electronic Ignition
I had a miss fire on my 3.4 only when engine was up to temperature and under load, tried changing everything, points, condenser, rotor arm, Distributor cap, leads, plugs, coil - nothing cured the problem. I then fitted electronic ignition system called 123 Ignition which replaces the whole distributor not just the points / condenser. No more problems car runs like a dream in all conditions, got stuck in traffic for 1 1/2 hours in 30 degrees heat this week and no problems - I do not have a kenlowe either.
123 Ignition is a superb product, I got it from SNG Barratt. At the same time I upgraded the leads to 8mm blue silicone high conductivity (lumenition) and a lucas sports coil. It was well worth the £300 to finally get the car running properly.
123 Ignition is a superb product, I got it from SNG Barratt. At the same time I upgraded the leads to 8mm blue silicone high conductivity (lumenition) and a lucas sports coil. It was well worth the £300 to finally get the car running properly.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest