Some years ago I'm sure there was an article in the JEC magazine covering Mike Hawthorn's 1959 tragic crash on the Guildford by-pass. In it I recall that there was a memorial stone at the site and as I am working in Guildford for the next few weeks I would really like to locate it to show my respects.
I have tried the search facility and Google etc. without success. There is much information about the incident, but none of the memorial itself. I have narrowed down the area but it seems that the area has changed a lot over the years and is quite overgrown. If anyone can point me in the right direction (pardon the pun), I would be most grateful.
Pop
Mike Hawthorn - Guildford
Moderators:Aceman, ecosselynx
Re: Mike Hawthorn - Guildford
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
Re: Mike Hawthorn - Guildford
Thanks mike, but no, not really.
There's plenty of info about where it happened. I'm after confirmation as to whether there is a plaque/stone or not. It either never existed, has been moved or is lost in the undergrowth.
U tube has videos of intrepid explorers trudging through the nettles at the site, I would like to re-read the JEC article as maybe I remember the story incorrectly.
Pop
There's plenty of info about where it happened. I'm after confirmation as to whether there is a plaque/stone or not. It either never existed, has been moved or is lost in the undergrowth.
U tube has videos of intrepid explorers trudging through the nettles at the site, I would like to re-read the JEC article as maybe I remember the story incorrectly.
Pop
Re: Mike Hawthorn - Guildford
have you tried using the magazine archive available on the main website to see if there is anything listed pre 2004??, may be worth a look see
88 3.6 XJ40 EX JDHT
88 3.6 XJ40 SOV
93 XJ40 XJ12
94 XJ40 Daimler Majestic Insignia
96 X300 Daimler Century EX JDHT
97 Daimler Double Six
97 XJR 300 Manual EX JDHT
55 X TYPE EST 3.0 SP PREM
56 X150 XK
88 3.6 XJ40 SOV
93 XJ40 XJ12
94 XJ40 Daimler Majestic Insignia
96 X300 Daimler Century EX JDHT
97 Daimler Double Six
97 XJR 300 Manual EX JDHT
55 X TYPE EST 3.0 SP PREM
56 X150 XK
Re: Mike Hawthorn - Guildford
Pop,
Why not write to Peter Bell on the Mk2 forum, his father worked for Coombs of Guildford at the time of the crash, and might know if/where the memorial stone is???
Phil
Why not write to Peter Bell on the Mk2 forum, his father worked for Coombs of Guildford at the time of the crash, and might know if/where the memorial stone is???
Phil
1973 Series 1 XJ12 SWB
1977 Series 2 XJ6C
1987 XJ-S 5.3 litre auto Cabriolet
1989 LISTER modified XJ40
1993 XJS 4.0 litre Manual facelift
1977 Series 2 XJ6C
1987 XJ-S 5.3 litre auto Cabriolet
1989 LISTER modified XJ40
1993 XJS 4.0 litre Manual facelift
- jBlackwell

- Posts:1055
- Joined:Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:19 pm
- Location:Cwmbran
Re: Mike Hawthorn - Guildford
There is a memorial tree noot far from the site which was planted in his name, a "crataegus monogyna" or Quickthorn. It was planted on Friday 22nd January 1999. It is in the Onslow Arboretum I believe. This is from the Book by Paul Skilliter "Mike Hawthorn - Golden Boy". I can find no mention of a plaque or Stone laid at the crash site though.
If you do find anything, I would like to know
If you do find anything, I would like to know
Re: Mike Hawthorn - Guildford
More information here: https://www.mike-hawthorn.org.uk/arboretum.php
A bit further along the A3 there was an old headstone in the verge. Miles from London, who was 33
A bit further along the A3 there was an old headstone in the verge. Miles from London, who was 33
-
DaveNeedham

- Posts:38
- Joined:Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:23 pm
Re: Mike Hawthorn - Guildford
Wasn’t that accident the reason Jaguar widend the track on the back end resulting in the MK2?
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests
