Page 1 of 1
Tremec Borg Warner T5 gearbox conversion
Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:30 pm
by Islander
Dear all
I am mulling upgrading the original gearbox of my MKII (1963), 2.4 by opting for the Tremec Borg Warner T5 gearbox conversion kit. This will entail substituting the old current gearbox for a new gearbox.
I have no doubts the vehicle will become more driveable as the original gearbox does not allow smooth gear changes between the 1st and 2nd gear due to no synchromeshing. But I am not sure whether such an upgrade will make a genuine vintage lose some of its appeal in terms of value? The current gearbox is the original one that came with the car from the factory when new (1963)...
If anyone can share any valuable thought I would appreciate.
Thank.
Re: Tremec Borg Warner T5 gearbox conversion
Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:48 pm
by davidr
Hi - if I may venture an opinion my advice would be to keep (or even refurbish?) the old gearbox and and don't make any changes to the car that you can't change back again. That way a future owner will have the option of returning the car to original and you don't have to take a hit on its sale value. It allows you to be relevant to either the "sensible mods" enthusiast or the purist for originality.
Re: Tremec Borg Warner T5 gearbox conversion
Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:48 am
by piman
Hello Islander,
you say that smooth changes are not possible due to a lack of synchromesh?
This only applies to downward changes, as there is synchromesh in second third and fourth. I would say few change down to first on the move so I don't see that there should be a problem as long as the clutch is functioning correctly and/or the second gear synchromesh is not excessively worn.
Alec
Re: Tremec Borg Warner T5 gearbox conversion
Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:44 am
by Islander
Hi - if I may venture an opinion my advice would be to keep (or even refurbish?) the old gearbox and and don't make any changes to the car that you can't change back again. That way a future owner will have the option of returning the car to original and you don't have to take a hit on its sale value. It allows you to be relevant to either the "sensible mods" enthusiast or the purist for originality.
Dear David, Thank you for your much valuable insight. I consider myself as a 'sensible mod' but yet I now realise that the intended change will be too much of an intervention on this classic. Therefore I will see to refurbish what I have rather than go radical.
Thank you very much for your valued advice.
Re: Tremec Borg Warner T5 gearbox conversion
Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:48 am
by Islander
Hello Islander,
you say that smooth changes are not possible due to a lack of synchromesh?
This only applies to downward changes, as there is synchromesh in second third and fourth. I would say few change down to first on the move so I don't see that there should be a problem as long as the clutch is functioning correctly and/or the second gear synchromesh is not excessively worn.
Alec
Dear Alec, thank you for your feedback which I will follow. I will get the gearbox and clutch seen to and have the necessary repairs done first. Probably this will be more than enough to see the desired improvements.
Thank you for your valued reply.