mk 2 floor panels
Moderators:Aceman, ecosselynx
-
lornemalvo
- Posts:25
- Joined:Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:11 am
I need to replace some floor panels on my Mk 2. The panels sold by Robey etc are only partial panels, I think front section only and I need to replace a larger section than that. One possibility is to use panels available for other cars. Partial floor sections for VW Beetles are available, although some adjustments would obviously be needed. It is likely that the "flutes" in the panels, made with bead rollers to strengthen the panels would be a different size, i.e. width etc. Does anyone foresee any potential issues in the future with these, e.g. non originality affecting the value, even of a properly restored car? Has anyone any alternative suggestions?
Re: mk 2 floor panels
There may be other panels available which have flutes. Have you tried Land Rover for instance as they have a good supply base? I am sure others may have had this issue so lets hope they respond. Another alternative is find a good bodyshop who may have a machine that could roll them. Practical Classics mag may be worth asking.
Paul V
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S
Re: mk 2 floor panels
Hello Lornemalvo,
it depends on your skills.
The problem with using differnt car's panels is they are unlikely to be even near what Jagurs profile is and so make sthe welding very difficult due to open areas where they mismatch.
It is not particularly difficult to form flat sheet to the correct profile and does not need a bead roller. Hammer forming is relatively easy to do and requires a strip of material to match the size of the channel. This can be metal or even hard wood fixed to a suitable base to hammer the metal to shape around this strip. G cramps to hold the metal while forming is helpfull as is a flat shaped punch to get a true shape along the edge of the channels. Obviously it takes a little time but is not really that bad, certainly not as bad as trying to weld a foreign panel unless you are extremely lucky with matching Jaguars original.
Alec
it depends on your skills.
The problem with using differnt car's panels is they are unlikely to be even near what Jagurs profile is and so make sthe welding very difficult due to open areas where they mismatch.
It is not particularly difficult to form flat sheet to the correct profile and does not need a bead roller. Hammer forming is relatively easy to do and requires a strip of material to match the size of the channel. This can be metal or even hard wood fixed to a suitable base to hammer the metal to shape around this strip. G cramps to hold the metal while forming is helpfull as is a flat shaped punch to get a true shape along the edge of the channels. Obviously it takes a little time but is not really that bad, certainly not as bad as trying to weld a foreign panel unless you are extremely lucky with matching Jaguars original.
Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome
-
lornemalvo
- Posts:25
- Joined:Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:11 am
Re: mk 2 floor panels
piman
Interesting you should suggest that. I did an engineering apprenticeship many years ago, so I'm reasonably handy. I've been looking at someone on YouTube doing beads by hand. Again, it is something I've considered but wonder whether the skill level is greater than manipulating foreign repair panels. The foreign panels I'm thinking about would just require flattening the edges around the perimeter, as the beads don't reach the edge. I think my first step will be try making a panel. I have some scrap metal to practice on and it would have the benefit of matching the original. Thanks for the response, I appreciate it.
Interesting you should suggest that. I did an engineering apprenticeship many years ago, so I'm reasonably handy. I've been looking at someone on YouTube doing beads by hand. Again, it is something I've considered but wonder whether the skill level is greater than manipulating foreign repair panels. The foreign panels I'm thinking about would just require flattening the edges around the perimeter, as the beads don't reach the edge. I think my first step will be try making a panel. I have some scrap metal to practice on and it would have the benefit of matching the original. Thanks for the response, I appreciate it.
- RichardSEL
- Posts:845
- Joined:Thu May 26, 2016 6:29 pm
Re: mk 2 floor panels
I used Radford Panel Co for my Mk IX outer skins. They might do Mk II floor pans. But note that their delivery times are extended
I didn't have to do any floor pan work apart from repair a few rust throughs that I used standard sheet for.
That was two years ago though. Gordon there was talking about shutting up shop. I don't know what's
happened to them since.
sales@radfordpanel.com
I didn't have to do any floor pan work apart from repair a few rust throughs that I used standard sheet for.
That was two years ago though. Gordon there was talking about shutting up shop. I don't know what's
happened to them since.
sales@radfordpanel.com
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L
Re: mk 2 floor panels
Hello Lornemalvo,
If you don't need to match a chanelled portion then what I said is largely irrelevant. I don't think that a different profile will make any difference to value unless it applies to a historically important car.
Claasic Motor Cars in Bridgnorth restored the badly damaged Lindener/Knocker lightway E Type by taking off the individual panels and re shaping them again becauseit was historically important and they wanted to retain as much of the original car as possible.
Alec
If you don't need to match a chanelled portion then what I said is largely irrelevant. I don't think that a different profile will make any difference to value unless it applies to a historically important car.
Claasic Motor Cars in Bridgnorth restored the badly damaged Lindener/Knocker lightway E Type by taking off the individual panels and re shaping them again becauseit was historically important and they wanted to retain as much of the original car as possible.
Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome
-
lornemalvo
- Posts:25
- Joined:Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:11 am
Re: mk 2 floor panels
Thanks all for the responses, very useful
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests
