Local rebuilders contact
Moderators:Aceman, ecosselynx
Hi again, as i sit and read the forum, again, for any new and interesting posts a thought of people in a similar position came to mind. I am currently rebuilding a 1968 240 and have been doing so for the last three years in my inadequate home garage and having to learn everything as i go along ( which is the attraction of the project ). I met another person in a similar position ( not a club member ) through his contact with the same spray shop I used and therefore someone who lives a few miles away. We help each other out with an extra pair of hands, share knowledge and we both enjoy bouncing ideas off each other. Therefore in an effort to expand that mutual support I am posting this to invite any members in a similar position who are reasonably local to M29 in Manchester to make contact, proberbly best through private messaging, to share our enthusiasm, support and objectives. Tony D
Last edited by Doherto on Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Local rebuildrs contact
Hi Tony
If I was anywhere near Manchester I would jump at the chance. As it is, all I can do is wish you luck and encourage you. I wish we had more local initiatives like this - "hands on" work to the older cars is what I joined the club for but sadly IMO there is not enough of it.
Good luck.
Robbie
If I was anywhere near Manchester I would jump at the chance. As it is, all I can do is wish you luck and encourage you. I wish we had more local initiatives like this - "hands on" work to the older cars is what I joined the club for but sadly IMO there is not enough of it.
Good luck.
Robbie
1996 4 litre XJS Celebration 2+2
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971
Re: Local rebuildrs contact
Excellent idea, wish there was more of this. I live in Nantwich and local regional branch does not do any of this. Looks like you may be just a bit too far away (30+ miles?) for regular help.
Best of luck with the idea as it is just what the club should be doing in my mind.
Best of luck with the idea as it is just what the club should be doing in my mind.
Paul V
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S
Re: Local rebuilders contact
Good on you, it's what I always wanted regional meetings to be more about rather then just sitting in a pub doing quiz nights, maybe some are. Rather like a car based Mens Shed https://menssheds.org.uk/
I volunteer on a heritage railway and many others who go there either drive or are interested in classic cars as well which makes for interesting discussions, we often bounce ideas off each other and share tools etc.
I volunteer on a heritage railway and many others who go there either drive or are interested in classic cars as well which makes for interesting discussions, we often bounce ideas off each other and share tools etc.
Re: Local rebuilders contact
Well lets stop whinging about it and do something!
Pop, I think you are near Portsmouth? Not a million miles from me at Salisbury. BB is near Swindon? There are a couple of others in Wiltshire who might be interested.
I would just love to go on a 1 day/2 day practical experience course in rebuilding the XK engine.
Anyone else in Hampshire/Wiltshire/Dorset interested in forming a "hands on" Jaguar group?
Robbie
Pop, I think you are near Portsmouth? Not a million miles from me at Salisbury. BB is near Swindon? There are a couple of others in Wiltshire who might be interested.
I would just love to go on a 1 day/2 day practical experience course in rebuilding the XK engine.
Anyone else in Hampshire/Wiltshire/Dorset interested in forming a "hands on" Jaguar group?
Robbie
1996 4 litre XJS Celebration 2+2
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971
Re: Local rebuilders contact
Count me in!
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
- RichardSEL
- Posts:845
- Joined:Thu May 26, 2016 6:29 pm
Re: Local rebuilders contact
I'm all for learning new stuff -- keep the grey matter challenged --
might even stop me from moving on from Jaguar product
might even stop me from moving on from Jaguar product
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L
Re: Local rebuilders contact
I have put the word about in Hampshire Wiltshire and Dorset Regions. It will be interesting to see what response there may be.
Robbie
Robbie
1996 4 litre XJS Celebration 2+2
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971
Re: Local rebuilders contact
I'm close to Bishops Waltham Robbie and would certainly help out where I can. Might have to wait for better weather though.
Al
Al
Re: Local rebuilders contact
Going off topic slightly, but for those in the Wiltshire/Hampshire area this might be worth keeping an eye on for a future breakfast meeting:
https://winchesterautobarn.com/
Bill Rawles near Alton also holds regular meetings at his place during the summer:
https://www.rawlesclassiccars.co.uk/
Both non model specific which makes for a more interesting meeting in my opinion.
Al
https://winchesterautobarn.com/
Bill Rawles near Alton also holds regular meetings at his place during the summer:
https://www.rawlesclassiccars.co.uk/
Both non model specific which makes for a more interesting meeting in my opinion.
Al
Re: Local rebuilders contact
I would be up for varying the breakfast venue from time to time - makes for a more interesting meeting - at least until they put a new roof on the AV8!
Robbie
Robbie
1996 4 litre XJS Celebration 2+2
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971
Re: Local rebuilders contact
Is the Winchester one the Merc specialist on the crossroads with the thatched roof? I remember years ago (many years ago!) when I worked for Henlys in Winchester as a summer job. Henlys was the BL agent and we used to store new cars in the field behind Hill Farm Garage. These were the good old days when your "brand new" car had been sitting in a muddy field for 6 months before you got it and came pre-rusted! It was always a lottery as to whether the Metro, Maestro, Montego or Rover SD1 that I'd gone there to collect would make it the 5 miles back to Winchester!
I remember going to Cowley once to collect a Metro Turbo straight off the production line. The torque steer was lethal! It also broke before I got it from Oxford to Winchester. It was only that the turbo outlet hose had blown off but that was a good indication of how carefully they were built!
Anyway, enough of memory lane, this would be an interesting breakfast venue if anyone from the area is interested. I'd certainly be very happy to meet up there.
Regards
David
I remember going to Cowley once to collect a Metro Turbo straight off the production line. The torque steer was lethal! It also broke before I got it from Oxford to Winchester. It was only that the turbo outlet hose had blown off but that was a good indication of how carefully they were built!
Anyway, enough of memory lane, this would be an interesting breakfast venue if anyone from the area is interested. I'd certainly be very happy to meet up there.
Regards
David
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
Re: Local rebuilders contact
Yes David, that's the place, on the A30. Following the incident where a drunk launched his car into the thatched roof, the place has been revamped.

Al

Al
Re: Local rebuilders contact
I know the road well (from my school days and family holidays!)
I will be there for the next meeting if you set a date, David.
R
I will be there for the next meeting if you set a date, David.
R
1996 4 litre XJS Celebration 2+2
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971
Re: Local rebuilders contact
Bill Rawles now has 2019 dates confirmed.
https://www.rawlesclassiccars.co.uk/eve ... es-apr-16/
Anyone interested?
https://www.rawlesclassiccars.co.uk/eve ... es-apr-16/
Anyone interested?
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

