Search found 19 matches
- Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:26 pm
- Forum:S-Type ▸Transmission
- Topic: Lumpy changes
- Replies: 1
- Views: 2750
Lumpy changes
I have a 55 S-type. Last year the gearbox was changed under warranty. However, I find the new box is not as silky smooth as I would hope. When cold, there is usually hesitation in the low gears unless I accelerate hardish. Also, when warm and crawling up to a round about say, there can be some hesit...
- Fri May 29, 2009 7:36 pm
- Forum:XJS ▸Engine
- Topic: Engine cut-out
- Replies: 3
- Views: 1515
Engine cut-out
Kels Thanks for the insights. I had guessed that if it was the AVV, it would have coughed & sputtered before stopping and not been so sudden. My mechanic also advises that the AVV is seized and he has restricted the air flow down that route When newly started and idling, it tries to drop out but usu...
- Sun May 24, 2009 7:32 pm
- Forum:XJS ▸Engine
- Topic: Engine cut-out
- Replies: 3
- Views: 1515
Engine cut-out
I have been having a problem with my 78 XJS. It wants to cut out after a few minutes when started from warm. It starts fine but while driving along, especially when you take your foot off of the gas, it cuts out. It doesn't want to restart normally. However, it can usually be restarted by putting th...
- Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:58 pm
- Forum:XJS ▸Suspension
- Topic: Ride height
- Replies: 1
- Views: 1167
Ride height
Sirs I have just replaced the front springs and shocks on my 78 XJS and find the ride height is now some 2 inches higher than it should be. The guidance is for 6 inches clearance but it is now sitting at about 8 and there is a noticable slope front to back. There were some small shims on the springs...
- Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:37 am
- Forum:XJS ▸Engine
- Topic: Emissions as a sign of fuel mixture
- Replies: 3
- Views: 1470
Emissions as a sign of fuel mixture
The car is a 78.
The actual reading are:
R Bank 1.2% & 131 PPM
L bank 2.4% & 492 PPM
It is clear the L bank is outside of the 2% limit from the service manual and the HC content is a factor of 4 different between banks
The actual reading are:
R Bank 1.2% & 131 PPM
L bank 2.4% & 492 PPM
It is clear the L bank is outside of the 2% limit from the service manual and the HC content is a factor of 4 different between banks
- Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:00 pm
- Forum:XJS ▸Engine
- Topic: Emissions as a sign of fuel mixture
- Replies: 3
- Views: 1470
Emissions as a sign of fuel mixture
Sirs My recent MOT has highlighted a significant difference in the CO content between the banks, even though they didn't need to do the test for the age of car. The Service Manual advises that tool 60730551 is required, I am assuming in conjunction with the emissions testing equipment. Is this tool ...
- Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:48 pm
- Forum:XJS ▸Bodywork
- Topic: Quarter panel external vent
- Replies: 2
- Views: 1212
- Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:22 pm
- Forum:XJS ▸Bodywork
- Topic: Quarter panel external vent
- Replies: 2
- Views: 1212
Quarter panel external vent
Sirs One of my external vents on the rear quarter panal has developed an irritating internal rattle. I can find no guiance on how to access this component. I have recently replaced my headlining et al and this did not reveal any access or attachments from the inside. Any suggestions? Thanks Peter
- Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:03 pm
- Forum:XJS ▸General
- Topic: Instrument Panel Bulbs
- Replies: 3
- Views: 1061
- Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:17 am
- Forum:XJS ▸General
- Topic: Instrument Panel Bulbs
- Replies: 3
- Views: 1061
Instrument Panel Bulbs
Sirs
The illumination on my instrument panel on my 78 XJS is rather gloomy. The manual suggests that the bulbs are 2.2W. Can higher watt bulbs be used?
Thanks
Peter
The illumination on my instrument panel on my 78 XJS is rather gloomy. The manual suggests that the bulbs are 2.2W. Can higher watt bulbs be used?
Thanks
Peter
- Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:13 pm
- Forum:XJS ▸Cooling System
- Topic: Thermostat set temperature - 82 or 88
- Replies: 5
- Views: 2794
Thermostat set temperature - 82 or 88
I am considering renewing the thermostats when I renew the coolant but see that two temperature settings are available. What is the thinking here and which is appropriate for a 1978 XJS?
Thanks
Thanks
- Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:51 pm
- Forum:XJS ▸Suspension
- Topic: Tyres for 78 XJS
- Replies: 1
- Views: 1069
Tyres for 78 XJS
My XJS has come fitted with 195/65/15 V rated but it looks like I need to replace the two on the front. I see that the manual specifiec 205/70 V R15. Q1 - Is having 195's a problem on safety or handling grounds that I should rectify? (I am not fussed about slight errors in the speedometer) Q2 - Shou...
- Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:08 pm
- Forum:XJS ▸Engine
- Topic: Antifreeze
- Replies: 4
- Views: 2074
Antifreeze
Hi folks As a novice to all thinks motoring, could you please advise me on antifreeze for my 78 XJS. The manual specifies Bluecol U which I see is still available. Is using this brand important or will any reputable (i.e. not Tescos) be OK? Should I be looking for a product with certain qualities? T...
- Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:45 pm
- Forum:XJS ▸Bodywork
- Topic: Door Seal Leakage
- Replies: 4
- Views: 1510
- Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:42 pm
- Forum:XJS ▸General
- Topic: Upgraded Seats
- Replies: 2
- Views: 905
Upgraded Seats
Folks
I would like to replace the front seats in my 78 XJS with those from an 89 model. The rear and side panels have gone in no bother. However, the seat rails on the front are on a different spacing. Has anyone any experience to pass on to help my quest?
Peter
I would like to replace the front seats in my 78 XJS with those from an 89 model. The rear and side panels have gone in no bother. However, the seat rails on the front are on a different spacing. Has anyone any experience to pass on to help my quest?
Peter