Search found 4 matches
- Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:39 pm
- Forum:XJS ▸Transmission
- Topic: Gears not engaging when car has warmed up
- Replies: 7
- Views: 3462
Re: Gears not engaging when car has warmed up
Further to my previous post and re: 'do you mean that the engine revs will go up when you're in Drive but doesn't move forward? Is that different from the "gears start slipping"? I have only driven it 3 times in the last 9 months and the last time (6 months ago), the gear change became less smooth a...
- Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:07 pm
- Forum:XJS ▸Transmission
- Topic: Gears not engaging when car has warmed up
- Replies: 7
- Views: 3462
Re: Gears not engaging when car has warmed up
Thanks all for the great advice. I have been under the impression that the gearbox was a GM4L80E (just from internet searches). I didn't realise that it is a ZF box. Do you know the model number by any chance so that I can give the correct information to a garage? I have been telling everyone that i...
- Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:54 pm
- Forum:XJS ▸Transmission
- Topic: Gears not engaging when car has warmed up
- Replies: 7
- Views: 3462
Re: Gears not engaging when car has warmed up
Hi David, Thank you for the quick response. I did check the transmission oil when the engine was warm and it looked like it was at a good level, maybe even a little high. I do not have any tools to check the OBD2 port (I assume that this requires a diagnostics tool?). I did call a couple of local ga...
- Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:47 pm
- Forum:XJS ▸Transmission
- Topic: Gears not engaging when car has warmed up
- Replies: 7
- Views: 3462
Gears not engaging when car has warmed up
Hi, I am new to the club, having recently bought a 1995 xjs celebration. I am sure that this question has been asked before but I am finding that the car changes gear ok when cold but when warm the gears start slipping, or won't do into gear when moving off from a standstill. However, once I have tu...