Thanks I will give them a bell.
Had looked at their website but it didn't report much of use, so hadn't pursued them.
Search found 10 matches
- Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:53 pm
- Forum:MK2 ▸Engine
- Topic: big end shennanigans
- Replies: 22
- Views: 7315
- Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:51 pm
- Forum:MK2 ▸Engine
- Topic: big end shennanigans
- Replies: 22
- Views: 7315
Re: big end shennanigans
So here we go. The engine is out and dangling by a piece of string in my garage 8) . It wasn't without eventfulness - the torque converter didn't stay nicely where it should have in the bell housing, necessitating the rempoval of the fan at the last minute to get enough clearance. Then the engine cr...
- Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:46 pm
- Forum:MK2 ▸Engine
- Topic: big end shennanigans
- Replies: 22
- Views: 7315
Re: big end shennanigans
They are great engines - to my ears the nicest sounding car ever made - but they're short and compact. This means the main bearings are quite narrow so all that force is concentrated in a small area. They can wear quickly if lube isn't up to scratch.
- Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:37 am
- Forum:MK2 ▸Engine
- Topic: big end shennanigans
- Replies: 22
- Views: 7315
Re: big end shennanigans
PPV- jag engines may do - but mine is the daimler v8 engine which, while being magnificent , is prone to chew through main bearings if maintenance is not adhered to - do I'm told.
- Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:58 pm
- Forum:MK2 ▸Engine
- Topic: big end shennanigans
- Replies: 22
- Views: 7315
Re: big end shennanigans
Bullet bit ..... started taking the engine out today. Bottom end rebuild is the plan. New main bearings, crankshaft regrind etc.
Seems the main bearings should be replaced in the 46k mile service. I'm guessing this has never been done.
Seems the main bearings should be replaced in the 46k mile service. I'm guessing this has never been done.
- Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:23 pm
- Forum:MK2 ▸Engine
- Topic: big end shennanigans
- Replies: 22
- Views: 7315
Re: big end shennanigans
Don't be disheartened! I recently bought a 1968 model and despite looking over it the best I could when I got it home I found plenty of rust I had missed, which wasn't cheap to put right. It means that I have effectively paid over the odds for the car, but it's still my pride & joy. He gets admirin...
- Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:34 am
- Forum:MK2 ▸Engine
- Topic: big end shennanigans
- Replies: 22
- Views: 7315
Re: big end shennanigans
Thanks Alec that's encouraging. I'm beginning to think I'm not as experienced as I thought at this game. Having yesterday taken out the heater box to renew the seals, unseize the flaps, flush and repaint, I put it all back together this morning. Then for the first time si central I've had her tried ...
- Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:39 pm
- Forum:MK2 ▸Engine
- Topic: big end shennanigans
- Replies: 22
- Views: 7315
Re: big end shennanigans
The rest of the engine seems fine and she runs sweetly. My current thinking is to drop the sump and change the bearing shells in situ (so long as the crank isn't scored). I have some questions then for which I would gratefully receive opinions: 1. Has anybody done this? 2. Can anybody recommend or c...
- Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:44 pm
- Forum:MK2 ▸Engine
- Topic: big end shennanigans
- Replies: 22
- Views: 7315
Re: big end shennanigans
Thanks chaps, for your consideration and advice. It's not an XK engine though, it's Turner's V8 2.5 On startup I get 40psi, this drops to 20psi when hot and idling (should be 30 by the book), and has dipped below to about 15psi when idling after a short steep climb. When hot and given the beans it g...
- Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:10 pm
- Forum:MK2 ▸Engine
- Topic: big end shennanigans
- Replies: 22
- Views: 7315
big end shennanigans
Hello all - new member here from North Wilts, with my 3rd "Jag" but my first classic "Jag" a Daimler V8 2.5 from 1966. I've run classics for 30 years - including 2 MGs (Midget and BGT), a Scimitar, a Rover p6. Generally I do all the work myself apart from major / heavy jobs. I've had this car as lon...