Search found 26 matches
- Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:13 pm
- Forum:XK8 / X150 ▸General
- Topic: XKR 4L or 4.2
- Replies: 4
- Views: 823
Re: XKR 4L or 4.2
Interesting...thanks guys. I suspect my 2005 xjr was a bit of a lemon! It has all sorts of issues with oxidation of the aluminum that was very expensive to fix and the engine was glitchy. It may have just been a bad example. I just got some details of the 4.2 xkr (2004) and it looks like it has a gr...
- Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:11 pm
- Forum:XK8 / X150 ▸General
- Topic: XKR 4L or 4.2
- Replies: 4
- Views: 823
XKR 4L or 4.2
Hi folks I've been looking at the prospects of getting an XKR for some time now, having owned a few XJR's in the past. I had both a 4l XJR (2001) and a 4.2 XJR (2005) and to be honest, I preferred the 2001 with the older 4l supercharged V8 and 5sp auto. The 4.2l always felt a bit more "delicate" and...
- Sat May 09, 2020 12:07 pm
- Forum:XJS ▸Engine
- Topic: V12 6.0 engine rebuild or not?
- Replies: 4
- Views: 1787
Re: V12 6.0 engine rebuild or not?
Hi Nick I see you have delayed this project anyway, but for wat it's worth! Last year I was doing some maintenance on my 94 XJS 6L and when replacing the water pump....opened a massive can of worms! One of the longer water pump bolts had sheared inside the timing cover. Luckily, I managed to get the...
- Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:56 pm
- Forum:XJS ▸Electrics
- Topic: Not giving me the horn!
- Replies: 1
- Views: 435
Not giving me the horn!
Hey guys....my car has been laid up a while and after finishing a service, I noticed that the horn isn't working. Fuse and relay are both good, wiring all seems to be intact. Anyone got any recommendations about trying to resolve? Is it likely that the horn unit itself is broken? I read a few posts ...
- Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:42 pm
- Forum:XJS ▸Suspension
- Topic: XJS Ride Quality
- Replies: 7
- Views: 2609
Re: XJS Ride Quality
Sorry, just re-joined the forum recently and catching up a bit! The noises you were describing sound a bit like the infamous top shock bushings. That's always the first place to start. They are easy to change so it's a no brainer. Some others mention the cross bracing in the engine compartment. I've...
- Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:27 pm
- Forum:XJS ▸Engine
- Topic: Engine oil again- 89 V12
- Replies: 1
- Views: 1292
Engine oil again- 89 V12
I know this is always a hot topic, but has anyone used this oil? https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-77374-millers-oils-classic-sport-high-performance-20w-50-fully-synthetic-engine-oil-with-nanotechnology.aspx I need to service my 89 V12 XJS and have been looking at oils. I believe in the past the guys who...
- Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:18 pm
- Forum:XJS ▸Interiors
- Topic: Slipping front car mats
- Replies: 0
- Views: 1173
Slipping front car mats
I have a problem with all my XJS's, namely that the drivers side footwell mat (not the carpet, but the loose overmat) folds back and wrinkles over. It may sound like a trivial thing, but a couple of times it's actually interfered with the accelerator pedal and could actually be quite dangerous. Does...
- Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:41 am
- Forum:XJ40 / X300 ▸General
- Topic: 1996 Daimler Double six
- Replies: 8
- Views: 2171
Re: 1996 Daimler Double six
Thanks Andy! Yes she's been well cared for. I wa deciphering the service records yesterday (mostly in Japanese of course!) but having worked there a few times I know how thorough Engineers are...looks like the Mechanics are too! I was surprised by the differences between the Daimler and my V12 XJS's...
- Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:51 pm
- Forum:XJ40 / X300 ▸General
- Topic: 1996 Daimler Double six
- Replies: 8
- Views: 2171
- Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:11 pm
- Forum:XJS ▸Engine
- Topic: AJ16 engine servicing
- Replies: 10
- Views: 2387
Re: AJ16 engine servicing
Strangest thing! Went back out to the gaage after dinner, fired her up and she's purring like a kitten.....750 rpm and smooth as!
These cars are weird, even the straight sixes!
sbb
These cars are weird, even the straight sixes!
sbb
- Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:01 pm
- Forum:XJS ▸Engine
- Topic: AJ16 engine servicing
- Replies: 10
- Views: 2387
Re: AJ16 engine servicing
Hey Guys...I finished servicing the XJS and on start up, the engine revd up to 3000 rpm or so and stayed there. Didn't want to do this on a stone cold engine so switched off. I wonder if I've disturbed something? I did have air cleaner and associated air intake gubbins off. As far as I know all the ...
- Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:09 pm
- Forum:XJS ▸Electrics
- Topic: 1996 4L xjs convertible front wheel speed sensors
- Replies: 1
- Views: 446
Re: 1996 4L xjs convertible front wheel speed sensors
Ignore my post....full lock did it....man that sensor was filthy!
sbb
sbb
- Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:04 pm
- Forum:XJS ▸Electrics
- Topic: 1996 4L xjs convertible front wheel speed sensors
- Replies: 1
- Views: 446
1996 4L xjs convertible front wheel speed sensors
I've been getting a P0502 warning on the obd II and wanted to take off the wheel speed sensors to clean them. I eventually managed to get the bolt out, but there doesn't seem to be enough clearance to remove the sensor itself. The lower shock absorber mount is in the way. Any ideas or am I missing s...
- Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:17 am
- Forum:XJ40 / X300 ▸General
- Topic: 1996 Daimler Double six
- Replies: 8
- Views: 2171
Re: 1996 Daimler Double six
So my DD6 was delivered to store today... here's a couple of shots.
- Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:28 pm
- Forum:XJS ▸Engine
- Topic: AJ16 engine servicing
- Replies: 10
- Views: 2387
Re: AJ16 engine servicing
I may replace the cam cover gasket as it's weeping a bit. Should I also replace the shoulder bolts or can these be re-used? They seem to be hard to get now. Looks as though it is the oil cooler hoses that are weeping a bit, not the actual connection to the cooler itself. I may leave them for now as ...