Search found 39 matches
- Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:23 pm
- Forum:X308 ▸Engine
- Topic: Engine Stops
- Replies: 42
- Views: 16907
Re: Engine Stops
Hi Folks, Guess what. The dreaded ASC/TRAC failure came back. But having had that 'Deja Vu' feeling, I immediately jumped on the fault report I published about this time last year about how to fix it. I disconnected the suspected connector, flashed both sides with a liberal amount of deflux spray an...
- Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:16 pm
- Forum:X308 ▸Wheels and Tyres
- Topic: Tyre Size for 1998 XJR V8 ---X308.
- Replies: 10
- Views: 7746
Re: Tyre Size for 1998 XJR V8 ---X308.
Hi All, I would like to add my question for comment. My XJR uses 255/40/ZR18 95W tyres and my XK8 uses 255/45/ZR18 99W on the rear wheels. Now I've checked the standards and found the following: 255 = Tyre width (mm) 40 = Aspect Ratio R18 = Rim Diameter (inches) ??? 99W = Load Index ZR = Speed Ratin...
- Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:08 pm
- Forum:X308 ▸Engine
- Topic: Faulty coil , how do i fing out which one ?
- Replies: 6
- Views: 3462
Re: Faulty coil , how do i fing out which one ?
Hi BB, XJR up and running again after fitting a new ignition unit to 3A. I've also bought an Autel 509 scanner. I'm hoping it'll make it easier for me to find faults like these in the future, but haven't used it yet. A bit worried I might need a computer science degree to use it, so I may be some ti...
- Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:12 pm
- Forum:X308 ▸Engine
- Topic: Faulty coil , how do i fing out which one ?
- Replies: 6
- Views: 3462
Re: Faulty coil , how do i fing out which one ?
Hi Everyone, Found a pdf on the AJ26 engine, some times referred to as the AJ-V8 engine for the American market. Page 43 provides the firing order information as: 1A, 1B, 4A, 2A, 2B, 3A, 3B, 4B. Assuming Daveji is correct and Bank A is on the right and Bank B is on the left and pistons 1A & 1B are c...
- Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:09 pm
- Forum:X308 ▸Engine
- Topic: Faulty coil , how do i fing out which one ?
- Replies: 6
- Views: 3462
Re: Faulty coil , how do i fing out which one ?
Hi BB, Just trawled through the forum to see if anyone else had suffered ignition coil failure and your posting from 2007 popped up. The first sign was the dreaded 'restricted performance' message on the dash followed a lumpy response from the engine. Then came the realisation that the ECU limited e...
- Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:15 pm
- Forum:XJS ▸For Sale or Wanted
- Topic: Wanted - Project
- Replies: 1
- Views: 1013
Wanted - Project
Hi Iain1980, I have a rare manual 4L 1993 XJS in good working order for sale. No tax or MOT, but that's not a problem, I can fix that if required. Trouble is, I'm looking for about £3800 which is probably too much for your project. However, if you're looking for an XJS to work on over Winter, I've g...
- Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:46 am
- Forum:X308 ▸Engine
- Topic: Engine Stops
- Replies: 42
- Views: 16907
Engine Stops
Hi Joejag, I believe my fix would interest members who have experienced sudden engine death with TRAC FAILURE & ASC FAILURE displayed on the dash board. I'm not claiming this is THE fix for this problem, just that it was the fix for my car. A friend of mine had the same error messages on her XK8 whi...
- Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:26 am
- Forum:X308 ▸Engine
- Topic: Engine Stops
- Replies: 42
- Views: 16907
Engine Stops
Hi Jed,
Emailed pdf as requested.
I hope my experience also fixes your problem.
Best Regards
Springelec
Emailed pdf as requested.
I hope my experience also fixes your problem.
Best Regards
Springelec
- Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:28 pm
- Forum:X308 ▸Engine
- Topic: Engine Stops
- Replies: 42
- Views: 16907
Engine Stops
Evenin' Jedstone, Just before I knock off work and go home to put my feet up with a bottle of beer or two, I thought I would reply to your post. Your description of your car's woes sounds identical to my experience, so if you can let me have your private email, I will send the pdf to that address if...
- Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:10 pm
- Forum:X308 ▸Electrical
- Topic: Is my aerial b**ggered?
- Replies: 17
- Views: 5192
Aerials
Hi Everyone, Read with interest previous aerial stories and it made me think I should add my experience. When I bought my car, the aerial wouldn't fully extend or retract. My solution was to treat the aerial with penetrating oil every time I came home. Simply run your thumb and two fingers up and do...
- Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:48 am
- Forum:X308 ▸General
- Topic: 4L V8 Sport ?.
- Replies: 21
- Views: 4471
XJR
To wrap up this discussion I should announce to the forum that I did buy an XJR as recommended by members. I've bought a '99 model with 89K on the clock in June 2009, but resisted making this announcement because I wanted to see if it was going to be the car I hoped it would be or a complete dog. I'...
- Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:27 am
- Forum:X308 ▸Engine
- Topic: Engine Stops
- Replies: 42
- Views: 16907
Engine Stops
Hi Paul, It's coincidental you've posted a note about the XJ8 engine stopping problem because I believe I've sorted out why my XJR stopped. I would like to post a pdf document to explain the fault on my car, but don't know how to up load the document to this forum. Suffice to say, my gut feeling was...
- Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:16 pm
- Forum:X308 ▸Engine
- Topic: Engine Stops
- Replies: 42
- Views: 16907
Engine Stops
Hi BB, Thanks for all these notes, Sage words indeed. You could be right and I am looking too deep into this problem. I picked up on your comment about OBD2 diagnostics because I'm considering getting my own diagnostic equipment so that I can study and monitor the error codes as and when they appear...
- Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:50 am
- Forum:X308 ▸Engine
- Topic: Engine Stops
- Replies: 42
- Views: 16907
Engine Stops
Hi Joejag308, I'm not quite sure why my comments have caused offence or indeed why I've attracted a slap on the wrists for my comments. Having re-read my notes, I can't see why I you've suggested I've impugned anyone's character or technical competence. I've never suggested that other members don't ...
- Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:39 pm
- Forum:X308 ▸Engine
- Topic: Engine Stops
- Replies: 42
- Views: 16907
Engine Stops
Hi Guys, Well that makes three of us. I'm also an Electronics Engineer with a lot of design experience with electrical stuff too and my thirty years of design engineering experience tells me two things. Either: 1) X308 circuits haven't been design properly and are therefore unnecessarily sensitive t...