Search found 89 matches
- Tue Feb 11, 2025 8:58 am
- Forum:XK8 / X150 ▸Electrics
- Topic: No dash, no start
- Replies: 10
- Views: 2905
Re: No dash, no start
Thank you Astromorg. Just waiting for a dry, non-freezing day so that I can get out and disconnect the sounder, then I can see if the battery will hold charge. If only I had a garage!!
- Sat Feb 08, 2025 12:15 pm
- Forum:XK8 / X150 ▸Electrics
- Topic: No dash, no start
- Replies: 10
- Views: 2905
Re: No dash, no start
I'm suspecting the dreaded alarm sounder battery is draining the main battery. Going to test that. I assume if I remove FUSE 9, it should stop that? It does always chirp on locking the car though, so I wonder if it is actually faulty. Presumably, current draw should be quite low. Measured at 30mA vi...
- Sun Jan 26, 2025 8:21 pm
- Forum:XK8 / X150 ▸Electrics
- Topic: No dash, no start
- Replies: 10
- Views: 2905
Re: No dash, no start
Cheers Paul! I have had this car since 2016 and replaced the battery for the second time in 2024. Because it is not used every day, I give it an occasional charge from the cetek every now and then. I have never seen this behaviour before. The worst battery voltage related fault I have ever seen is w...
- Sun Jan 26, 2025 1:22 pm
- Forum:XK8 / X150 ▸Electrics
- Topic: No dash, no start
- Replies: 10
- Views: 2905
Re: No dash, no start
Well, that was very odd! Disconnected/reconnected battery and got some more lights on the main instrument panel, but still would not start. This also put the alternator and oil pressure lights on - which stayed on with door closed and car locked! Disconnected battery again and reconnected after 10 m...
- Sun Jan 26, 2025 12:29 pm
- Forum:XK8 / X150 ▸Electrics
- Topic: No dash, no start
- Replies: 10
- Views: 2905
Re: No dash, no start
Hi Paul, thanks for the reply! If I remember correctly, battery voltage yesterday before I charged it overnight was 12.3V. This morning, it's 12.7V. When I turn ignition on, I briefly get both airbag lights on (passenger side and the one in the instrument cluster) but nothing else. I turned off clim...
- Sun Jan 26, 2025 11:30 am
- Forum:XK8 / X150 ▸Electrics
- Topic: No dash, no start
- Replies: 10
- Views: 2905
No dash, no start
Jumped in the car yesterday for a quick spin to keep it happy. Instrument cluster did not spark up and would not spin starter. Clock is running, interior and airbag lights are on. I can hear the fuel pump clicking and the climate control starts up. Put battery on charge overnight (it was new last ye...
- Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:28 pm
- Forum:XK8 / X150 ▸Electrics
- Topic: xkrs rear centre brake light
- Replies: 3
- Views: 1082
Re: xkrs rear centre brake light
I have successfully replaced a dead LED from a high level brake light from a Nissan Navara some years ago BUT this was relatively easy because the unit was removed from the car and was quite easily dismantled giving access to a number of surface mount LEDs on a small pcb. So the two main obstacles a...
- Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:40 pm
- Forum:XK8 / X150 ▸Electrics
- Topic: Oil Pressure Gauge
- Replies: 6
- Views: 1562
Re: Oil Pressure Gauge
Update: It is possible to peel back the dial gauge sheet carefully and access the screws. A bit of heat to help mobilise the glue and it came away nicely. New stepper motor fitted and works a treat! The failure of the old one was because one of the windings was open circuit. I might write this up fo...
- Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:22 am
- Forum:XK8 / X150 ▸Electrics
- Topic: Oil Pressure Gauge
- Replies: 6
- Views: 1562
Re: Oil Pressure Gauge
I bought a used minor gauge panel and plugged it in. The gauge works correctly, so I know the pressure switch and everything else is in order. Dismantled the used panel to see how it went together before working on mine. The problem with attempting to replace the stepper is that the stepper motors a...
- Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:40 pm
- Forum:XK8 / X150 ▸Electrics
- Topic: Oil Pressure Gauge
- Replies: 6
- Views: 1562
Re: Oil Pressure Gauge
Thanks Astromorg, I tried battery disconnect which didn't help much. It's like the stepper doesn't always get set back to zero when engine is turned off, but sometimes it does work correctly. I have ordered a used replacement from Auto Reserve and have a play with that! I can replace the stepper if ...
- Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:40 am
- Forum:XK8 / X150 ▸Electrics
- Topic: Oil Pressure Gauge
- Replies: 6
- Views: 1562
Oil Pressure Gauge
I know it's not a real gauge, but a stepper motor driven indicator - trouble is, mine is playing up. Has anyone had any experience of fixing these? I don't want to send it away, as I can probably fix it myself, but I have no information on how it works! Basically, it seems reluctant to reset to zero...
- Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:50 pm
- Forum:XK8 / X150 ▸Steering, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres
- Topic: Tyre Fitters
- Replies: 0
- Views: 1301
Tyre Fitters
Have any of our Torbay members had tyres fitted to BBS Detroits or similar recently? My local tyre fitter is unable to do it because his machine is not suitable. Trying to find someone that can do it without damaging the trim rings.
- Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:12 pm
- Forum:XK8 / X150 ▸Interiors
- Topic: Fuel Tank Cover
- Replies: 2
- Views: 1540
Re: Fuel Tank Cover
Thanks Astromorg! I thought about some sort of plastic fastener as well but couldn't see a type that would work and make it look neat. Your idea of using contact adhesive is good though. I'm going to try that. I have some wide velcro strips but they don't stick well to the board.
- Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:44 pm
- Forum:XK8 / X150 ▸Interiors
- Topic: Fuel Tank Cover
- Replies: 2
- Views: 1540
Fuel Tank Cover
Has anyone had problems with their fuel tank cover (2005 XK8 coupe)? Mine seems to have become very floppy (technical term!) and it just looks untidy. The velcro strips that are supposed to attach to the fuel tank straps don't stick very well either. Maybe a stiffening bar across the top side would ...
- Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:58 pm
- Forum:XK8 / X150 ▸Electrics
- Topic: Powerfold mirror problem
- Replies: 23
- Views: 3078
Re: Powerfold mirror problem
Passenger side module repaired with a couple of wires and pcb lacquered to prevent moisture causing any more problems. Precautionary coating of lacquer on drivers side pcb - which was virtually undamaged and working perfectly. New lids both sides completed the repair.