Search found 8 matches
- Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:28 pm
- Forum:E-Type ▸Engine
- Topic: Excessive blue smoke and oil consumption
- Replies: 17
- Views: 11948
Re: Excessive blue smoke and oil consumption
Dear Art, Thank you very much for your reply. From my own investigations and all the very helpful advice I have received on the forum it seems most likely that the problem lies with oil getting past the valve stems and into the cylinders when the car has been stood up for while and I intend to have ...
- Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:27 pm
- Forum:E-Type ▸Engine
- Topic: Excessive blue smoke and oil consumption
- Replies: 17
- Views: 11948
Re: Excessive blue smoke and oil consumption
Dear Stuart, Thank you very much for such a comprehensive reply to my post. I may not be absolutely correct with the stated oil consumption but it is a lot. I did not seem to get the same amount of smoke when I was using the car every day the week before last when we had that lovely sunny weather wh...
- Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:42 pm
- Forum:E-Type ▸Engine
- Topic: Excessive blue smoke and oil consumption
- Replies: 17
- Views: 11948
Re: Excessive blue smoke and oil consumption
Thanks Alec.
I've just updated my profile
David
I've just updated my profile
David
- Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:49 am
- Forum:E-Type ▸Engine
- Topic: Excessive blue smoke and oil consumption
- Replies: 17
- Views: 11948
Re: Excessive blue smoke and oil consumption
Hello Alec / Old timer, Thanks for your respective replies A compression test has been done and all six cylinders were in the 160s Alec: the garage I had in mind would be sending the head away to do the valve guides and then refitting. Who do you have in mind? Can you recommend anyone in Somerset wh...
- Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:12 pm
- Forum:E-Type ▸Engine
- Topic: Excessive blue smoke and oil consumption
- Replies: 17
- Views: 11948
Re: Excessive blue smoke and oil consumption
Hello Alec, Thanks again for your reply. I just cant think of what else would cause so much oil consumption (top up 2 litres in 100 miles!) and excessive blue smoke on start up after a period of rest when there are no obvious oil leaks. Yes I am more than happy with her performance always a thrill t...
- Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:55 pm
- Forum:E-Type ▸Engine
- Topic: Excessive blue smoke and oil consumption
- Replies: 17
- Views: 11948
Re: Excessive blue smoke and oil consumption
Dear Alec, Thanks once again for your reply. I am currently using a 20W50 Motorway Comma mineral oil. it has been suggested that after I clean the breather system that i try Millers 20W50 engine oil. I appreciate what you said about the vacuum effect of drawing oil but as for the blue smoke after st...
- Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:02 am
- Forum:E-Type ▸Engine
- Topic: Excessive blue smoke and oil consumption
- Replies: 17
- Views: 11948
Re: Excessive blue smoke and oil consumption
Dear Alec, Thanks for getting back to me. You dont think that oil is coming down into the cylinders when the car is at rest from worn valve stems / guides then? As when I start up after its been standing for a few weeks there is literally clouds of blue smoke. However, for example I used the car yes...
- Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:46 pm
- Forum:E-Type ▸Engine
- Topic: Excessive blue smoke and oil consumption
- Replies: 17
- Views: 11948
Excessive blue smoke and oil consumption
Dear All, I have just joined the members website after being a JEC member for some five years and already I have seen a lot of useful stuff on here. My reason for writing is that I have a 1967 Series 1 2 + 2 auto which I have had for around five years it has always emitted quite a bit of blue smoke ...